National Nutrition Week (1st Sep – 7th Sep)
National Nutrition Week is Observed to create awareness about importance of proper nutrition for complete health and preventing nutritional problems.
Importance Of Nutrition
- Provides energy to move & work
- Provides building blocks of muscles
- Develop, replace & repair cells/tissues
- Carry out chemical processes e.g. digestion
- Protect, resist and fight infection
- Fast recovery from sickness
Preventing Nutritional Deficiencies
- Add soluble fiber
- Get adequate Vitamin D
- Eat healthy Omega 3 fats
- Boost antioxidants
- Eat lean & plant based protein
- Choose wholegrain
- Consume magnesium rich food
- Eat Calcium rich food
- Eat cruciferous veggies
- Drink healthy beverages
The Food Pyramid for Healthy Life
(For adults, teenagers and children aged from 5 & over)
- Food, drinks high in fat, sugar & salt – once/twice a week
- Fats, spread & oil – in very small amount
- Meat, poultry, fish, eggs & beans – 2 servings a day
- Milk, Yogurt, cheese – 3 servings a day
- Wholegrain, cereals, breads, pasta & rice – 3 to 5 servings
- Vegetables, salads, fruit – 5 to 7 servings
- Water & fluids – min 8 to 12 glasses/day
- Eat fresh food rather than processed.
- Eat raw fruits & veggies if possible, cooking destroys nutrients.
- Wash fruits & veggies thoroughly before eating.
- Don’t cut, wash/soak fruits & veggies until you’re ready to eat.
- Prefer traditional, homemade food than fast food.
- Avoid replacing main meals with snacks
- Limit consumption of sugar & processed foods.